All types of sliding doors available in the market use rollers in their operating mechanisms. These sliding door rollers need regular adjusting from time to time, as they age. The adjustment also helps accommodate the contraction and expansion of the door frame opening.
Is your sliding door tough to open? Does it open slowly? If you’ve decided that enough is enough and it’s now time to adjust the door, you’ll need to get some tools ready. Some of the supplies you’ll need include:
- A screwdriver
- Stiff wire brush
- A vacuum cleaner
Adjusting the Sliding Glass Door Rollers
When sliding glass door rollers become difficult to budge, adjusting the position of the rollers offers a simple fix. Here’s how you go about changing the position of the rollers:
- Open the sliding glass door to check where the rollers are jamming. If it’s rubbing the top of the track, you’ll have to lower the rollers. On the other hand, if it’s rubbing the bottom track, you’ll need to raise the rollers.
- Find the adjustment screws inside holes on the door’s bottom edges (they may be covered in easy-to-remove plugs). These screws make it possible to alter the height of the rollers on the bottom of the door.
- Slightly lift the door with a different screwdriver and leave it in place while adjusting. Doing this takes the pressure off the rollers
- Using the same screwdriver, rotate the screws to the left to help raise the rollers. If you’re looking to lower the rollers, turn the screwdriver to the right.
- Open and close the door several times until the door glides through the tracks smoothly without getting stuck or making any noises.
- The expected results would be the rollers sitting in perfect harmony on the tracks. This means that you might have to readjust the screws a couple of times.
- Ensure that when you’re done, there’s an equal amount of space between the door and the track on both sides. This way the door slides without resistance.
- Check whether the door is straight by opening it and checking the alignment. If it’s well-aligned then it means that the adjustment went successfully.
- Afterward, add some lubrication while sliding the door a few times to spread it out. Ensure that the door glides smoothly without resistance.
- Remember to clean and maintain the roller units with regular vacuuming to get rid of the loose dirt. For extra cleaning power, use soapy water and a stiff wire brush.
Final Thoughts on Adjusting Sliding Glass Door Rollers
Sliding glass doors are quite delicate and heavy for one person to handle. If you need any sliding glass door repair done it’s best if you work with a sliding door repair company. These professionals know all the small details that you would easily miss. For example, they know not to use ordinary lubricants but use silicone-based spray or paraffin. Ordinary lubricating grease attracts buildup causing the rollers to get stuck.short url: