There I sat one day, at my desk, leaning back in my plush black desk chair, just staring blankly at my cream colored wall. I had lost the motivation I once had in regard to writing. In fact, it seemed like more of a chore than a privilege to work for myself and create my own content. What was I going to do?
In talking to colleagues and other professionals that I do regular business with, I learned that I wasn’t alone. Having lulls of energy appeared to be a normal part of the working cycle across the board. Everyone seemed to have these experiences from time to time, leaving them to wonder how to make things better. Specifically, how to make their work life better.
Being an eternal optimist and philosopher, I decided to pursue my lack of inspiration further and found that I received great strength in motivational and inspirational quotes. So much so, in fact, that I now have quite a few sticky notes hanging all over my office with words scribbled on them to help remind me to keep going when all I want to do is quit.
So, here are 20 of my most inspiring quotes related to success that may also help you if you are in the same position and want to get out with the help of other people’s words of wisdom:
1. “A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.” David Brinkley
2. “Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” Winston Churchill
3. “To succeed in life you need two things: ignorance and confidence.” Mark Twain
4. “I don’t measure a man’s success by how high he climbs, but how high he bounces when he hits bottom.” George S. Patton
5. “The difference between a successful person and others is not lack of strength, or a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.” Vince Lombardi
6. “Success is not measured by what you accomplish, but by the opposition you have encountered, and the courage with which you have maintained the struggle against overwhelming odds.” Orison Swett Marden
7. “The successful man will profit from his mistakes and try again in a different way.” Dale Carnegie
8. “Frustration, although quite painful at times, is a very positive and essential part of success.” Bo Bennett
9. “The ladder of success is best climbed by stepping on the rungs of opportunity.” Ayn Rand
10. “You don’t have to be a genius or a visionary or even a college graduate to be successful. You just need a framework and a dream.” Michael Dell
11. “If you have no critics, you’ll likely have no success.” Malcolm X
12. “There is little success where there is little laughter.” Andrew Carnegie
13. “To be successful, you have to have your heart in your business and your business in your heart.” Thomas J. Watson
14. “Success isn’t a result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.” Arnold H. Glasgow
15. “Pray that success will not come any faster than you are able to endure it.” Elbert Hubbard
16. “There is only one success – to be able to spend your life in your own way.” Christopher Morley
17. “Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go.” William Feather
18. “Don’t watch the clock; do what it does. Keep going.” Sam Levenson
19. “Expect problems and eat them for breakfast.” Alfred A. Montapert
20. “In life you have two options when it comes to being a success: make excuses or make changes.” Christina DeBusk (yes, this one is mine)
Just to throw one additional quote in here by Audrey Hepburn, “Success is like reaching an important birthday and finding out you’re exactly the same.” In other words, don’t wait for success to dramatically change your life. You’ll still be who you are when it happens, so do what you can to make that a good thing!